In the neighborhood that’s one of the nation’s hottest*, East Nashville and Inglewood have plenty to offer. While the real estate is sky high, there are still some cheap eats and thrifty local stores to go easy on your wallet.
You may notice some of the sights from the show “Nashville,” as many scenes are filmed on location. But East Nashville – and Inglewood, just north of EN, – is full of charm all on its own.
We’ve been here nearly four years (after growing up in Nashville, then detouring for about 12 years). We have loved being here and discovering all this little area has to offer, including the great community and its people, coffee shops, restaurants, local shops, thrift stores, parks, playgrounds and fantastic public schools — two of which my husband has worked for and one of which my daughter attends!
This is not an exhaustive list (but some of our favorite spots are included.)
* according to Rolling Stone & others
Places to Take Visitors (or the In-Laws)
- Olive & Sinclair Tour – $5 (Saturdays by reservation only)
See the chocolate factory that is as much eye-candy as it is actual candy! See first-hand the process of making bean-to-bar chocolate and hear the story of Olive & Sinclair. oliveandsinclair.com/factory-tours
- 5 Points
A neat little area with shops and restaurants. We snapped some pictures so our friends and family could get a feel for our neighborhood when we first moved there. They’re sprinkled throughout this post.
- Little Hollywood – northeast Lockeland Springs
A collection of Old Hollywood style houses. Fun to drive by – plus one has a “leg” mailbox.
- Moss Rose Drive
Fun little nice drive – you can see over the Cumberland River to the lights of the Opryland complex (especially at night in the winter). Neat!
- The John Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge
At Cumberland Park, this 1909 bridge gives great picture-worthy views of downtown Nashville.
Psst … if you have 1 day to spend in Nashville, use this itinerary: What to Do in Nashville in 1 Day
- Jesse James House – 711 Fatherland St.
The Jesse James house at 711 Fatherland St. in Historic Edgefield is a great drive-by for history buffs. Given the Architectural Award in 1989 from the Metropolitan Historical Commission for the restoration work on the property, this house was originally built in the mid 1850s and restored over three years beginning in 1984. It’s said to be the last Tennessee home of James.
But it’s not the only house in East Nashville associated with the famous outlaw and his family. Two are no longer standing (606 Boscobel St. and 814 Fatherland St.), but 903 Woodland St., said to be a home of James in early 1881, is.
- Grand Ole Opry – 410 Fatherland St.
One of the early homes of the Grand Ole Opry, which started in the National Life building at 7th and Union in downtown Nashville, was the Dixie Tabernacle, a religious revival house at 410 Fatherland St. that could seat 3,500 with wooden benches and had sawdust floors and no dressing rooms.
- East Branch – Nashville Public Library – 206 Gallatin Ave.
This 96-year-old public library is the fourth of the original Carnegie libraries in Nashville (the only other surviving is the North Branch). It was lauded as an “architectural gem” when it opened in 1919. Over the years it has sustained floods and tornadoes and was restored 15 years ago. It’s considered a Metro Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Across the street you’ll see East Nashville Magnet School (formerly East Nashville High School, where Oprah Winfrey attended before being awarded a full scholarship to Tennessee State University).
- Riverwood Mansion – 1833 Welcome Ln.
This privately owned historic house plays host to some fun events throughout the year, but is rentable for weddings and other upscale affairs.
- 2616 – YWCA women’s resale boutique – 2616 Gallatin Pk. (awesome cause)
- Goodwill – 613 Gallatin Ave. (half-off first Saturdays)
- Storage Treasures EAST Nashville – 2501 Gallatin Pk. (don’t bring the kids, trust me)
- Aldi (Eastland) – 615 Gallatin Ave. (cheapest groceries)
- Inglewood Kroger – 3410 Gallatin Pike (Pepperspray Kroger, better than Murder Kroger on Eastland)
- Porter Road Butcher – 501 Gallatin Ave. (expensive, but worth it)
- The Turnip Truck – 701 Woodland St. (just opened in their new location)
Otherwise, head to Publix in Donelson or Trader Joe’s in Green Hills!
Farmer’s Markets / Produce
- East Nashville Farmers Market – (Shelby park) – 1500 Davidson St
- Amish veggies – corner of Greenwood and Porter (Charles Smith has been selling there the past 4 years)
- Barnes Produce – 4000 Gallatin Pike
- Madison Inglewood
Market – 4702 Gallatin Pike.
EAST NASHVILLE EATS
- 5 Points Pizza – (garlic knots and meatball pie) – 1012 Woodland St
- Batter’d & Fried Boston (Soup, Seafood, Sushi) – 1008 Woodland St.
- Couva Calypso Café (Caribbean, Vegetarian) – 301 Gallatin Rd.
- Drifters (BBQ, beer, live music) – 1008B Woodland St.
- Edley’s BBQ (& the desserts! oh my.) – 2706 12th Ave S.
- El Jaliciense (Mexican) – 3225 Gallatin Rd. (best tacos)
- Far East Nashville (Vietnamese, Asian, Breakfast) – 1008 Fatherland St.
- Five Points Cocina Mexicana (Mexican, Tex-Mex) – 972 Main St. (great sit-down Mexican)
- Las Maracas (Mexican) – 2704 Gallatin Rd. (best salsa!)
- Local Taco – 1100 Fatherland St #104
- Margot Café – 1017 Woodland St.
- Mitchell’s Deli (deliciousness) – 1306 McGavock Pike
- Nomzilla (sushi) – 1000 Gallatin Rd.
- Pepperfire (Hot Chicken) – 1000 Gallatin Rd.
- Pied Piper Eatery (classic diner) – 1601 Riverside Dr.
- Rosepepper (cute sayings on the marquee)
- The Family Wash (pub grub) – 626A Main St
- Wild Cow (vegetarian & delish) – 1896 Eastland Ave.
I feel like there are too many good ones to mention (plus some are expensive, like Eastland Cafe, Rumours, Lockeland Table, Holland House, Two Ten Jack, so I didn’t include them). : (
- Bagel Face Bakery – 700 Main St.
- Bakery by Frothy Monkey – 1010 Fatherland St.
- Bailey and Cato (soul food) – 1307 McGavock Pike
- Bolton’s Spicy Chicken & Fish – 624 Main Street
- Castrillos (Italian) – 1404 McGavock Pike (BBQ chicken pizza, ftw)
- Cizars Mediterranean Grill (so good, great service, too) – 1101 Gallatin Ave.
- Good to Go – 2625 Gallatin Pike, right across from the YMCA, from 11-6
- Ghot Wingz (chicken wings with 20+ different sauces) – 2617 Gallatin Pike
- I Dream of Weenie (inventive hot dogs out of a VW bus) – 113 S 11th St
- Nashville Biscuit House (the drive-thru is for call-in orders) – 805 Gallatin Pike
- Riverside Grill Shack (best burgers & fries on the East side) – 1000 Riverside Dr
- Tower Market & Deli (new! yummy!) – 1305 Gallatin Ave
- Urban Juicer – 1009 Gallatin Ave.
- Bongo East – 107 S. 11th St.
- Garage Coffee (at The Family Wash) – 626A Main St.
- Onyx (Coffee) – 3107 Gallatin Rd.
- Perk & Cork (Coffee & wine, food) – 1304 McGavock Pk. (great new place!)
- Portland Brew – 1921 Eastland Ave. (yummy cookies)
- Sip Cafe (Coffee, pastries & ice cream) – 3939 Gallatin Pk.
- The Post East (coffee, smoothies, food) – 1701 Fatherland St
- Ugly Mugs Coffee and Tea (coffee, dessert) – 1886 Eastland Ave. (nicest owners ever)
- Jeni’s Ice Cream – 1892 Eastland Ave.
- Kernels Gourmet Popcorn (popcorn & really nice people) – 2501B Gallatin Ave. (Eastside mix)
- Pied Piper Creamery – 114 S 11th St.
- Sip Cafe and Mike’s Ice Cream (Coffee, pastries & ice cream) – 3939 Gallatin Pk. (Red Velvet, Tennessee Fudge or Tennessee Coffee Fudge)
- Sweet 16th (Breakfast & baked goods) – 311 N 16th St.
- Yeast Nashville (Kolaches, Baked Goods) – 805 Woodland St. (cinnamon rolls the size of your head)
Everybody’s got to do fast food sometime. Don’t be ashamed.
- Burger King – 728 Gallatin Rd.
- Cook Out – 3000 Gallatin Rd.
- Sonic Drive-In – 3910 Gallatin Pk.
- Subway – 2420 Gallatin Pk.
- Wendy’s – 3021 Gallatin Rd.
i.e. in general, not as budget-friendly…
- Barista Parlor (coffee, food, tea) – 519 Gallatin Ave (Bourbon Barrel Vanilla)
- Fanny’s House of Music (full service music shop) – 1101 Holly St.
- Fond Object – 1313 McGavock Pike
- Mas Tacos (tacos) – 732 Mcferrin Ave (chicken tortilla soup, please)
- Pharmacy (burgers) – 731 Mcferrin Ave
- The Groove (new & used vinyl) – 1103 Calvin Ave.
Brunch is super popular here. Be prepared for wait at most of these places!
- Divine Art Café & Toffee – 604 Gallatin Ave, Ste 109 (a great cause!)
- Mad Donna’s – 1313 Woodland St.
- Marché – 1000 Main St.
- Porter House Bistro – 1115 Porter Road
- Rudie’s Seafood – Riverside Village
- Sky Blue Café – 700 Fatherland St.
- Tenn Sixteen – 1016 Woodland St.
- 3 Crow Bar – 1024 Woodland St. (2-4-1 Sundays)
- Dino’s – 411 Gallatin Ave.
- No. 308 – 407 Gallatin Ave.
- The 5 Spot – 1006 Forrest Ave. ($2 Tuesdays)
- The Basement East + The Pub – 917 Woodland St
- The Hop Stop – 2909 Gallatin Pike
- Village Pub – 1308 McGavock Pike
- Crossfit 615 – 3231 Gallatin Pike (I only know this exists because it’s next to the taco place.)
- East Nasty Running Club
- Eastside Cycles – 103 S 11th St
- Margaret Maddox YMCA – 2624 Gallatin Pike
- Shelby Park & Greenway (& links) – 1900 Davidson St (greenway, trails, free bike rentals, nature center)
THINGS IT JUST SEEMS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT
- Cumberland Hardware – 1018 Woodland St
- Nashville Auto Care & Towing – 839 Porter Rd. (spoken highly of by many, including me!)
- Riverside Village Pharmacy – 1406 McGavock Pike
- Smokers Abbey – 604 Gallatin Ave.
- East Nashville FB page – pure entertainment (don’t take it seriously)
- East Nashville Buy/Sell/Trade – sell anything within minutes!
- Inglewood Neighborhood Association
- Art & Invention Gallery – 1106 Woodland St
- Hey Rooster General Store – 1106 Gallatin Ave
- OMG (Old Made Good) – 3701B Gallatin Pike
- Shoppes on Fatherland
- Welcome Home – 1882 Eastland Ave
- Fairytales Bookstore – 114 S 11th St
- Dandelion Salon – 1117 Porter Rd
- Scout Barbershop – 904 Main St
- Eastland Christian Parents Day Out – 1601 Eastland Ave (get on the waiting list early. No kidding.)
- Holly Street Daycare – 1401 Holly St (get on the waiting list when you’re expecting. No joke.)
- First Nazarene Parents Night Out – (cheapest date night eva! – $5/ kid)
- Smile, Mommy! Diaper Service – 1013 Gallatin Ave.
- MOMS Clubs of East Nashville (Lockeland, Inglewood, Eastwood)
- East Nashville Families FB page
- (Several parents day out and preschool programs in Inglewood: Dalewood Methodist, Jackson Park Church of Christ, Dalewood Baptist)
- Cornelia Fort Airpark – 1199 Shadow Ln (run on the runway!)
- Cumberland Park – 592 S 1st St (playspace & splashpad)
- Metro Parks playground at Dan Mills Elementary – 4106 Kennedy Ave.
- East Recreation Center & playground – 600 Woodland St,
- Isaac Litton Park -4500 Gallatin Pike (playground, pavilion, tennis courts, sand volleyball court)
- Shelby Park – Shelby Ave at S. 20th (dog park, playgrounds)
- Brush Hill Cumberland Presbyterian Church – 3705 Brush Hill Rd
- Dalewood Middle – 1460 McGavock Pike
- Shelby Park – 401 S 20th St
- Isaac Litton Middle – 4601 Hedgewood Dr.
Halloween Hot Spots
- Everywhere, but Eastland and Greenfield Ave. get really busy
- Many area churches host Trunk ‘er Treat style events
- East Park
- I24 before Shelby exit
- Ellington Pkwy
FUN FOR EVERYONE
- Cornelia Fort Park movie night & pickin’ parties
- Tomato Art Festival – 5 Points, August